All of us are facing uncertain times. Will we have enough money to provide for our family? Are our immunity strong enough to protect us? And, will our family members survive this virus? How long will this virus last? Will I suffer from loneliness during lockdown?
All these and many more uncertainties can leave us flooded with emotions and feelings of helplessness, fear, anxiety, loneliness, and even anger, only to name a few. Emotions help us make meaning of our current situation. When we do not know how to regulate our emotions, we can feel overwhelmed.
We can support each other during these times. That is the goal of this website and the heart of the counsellors volunteering their time and services. We do not only want you to survive COVID-19 and Lockdown, but we also want you to use this time to move towards thriving.
In a few years, we are going to tell our children or grandchildren of the COVID-19 virus. It will be stories of triumph or terror. We read that we need to reflect and be courageous. But how do we do that?
As passionate counsellors, we want to help people make meaning of their lives. During COVID-19 we journey together and look back. We make plans and create strategies for going forward. At the end of this, we want to look back and say that not even this could defeat us. Together we can achieve this. Thank you that we can journey with you during these times.
Este Marais and Belinda Pieterse
Tips to Survive Lockdown
- Taking care of your body – exercise, eat healthy, get enough sleep
- Keep your brain active – read, do online courses,
- Take care of your emotions – journal, join online support groups
- Remember to take care of your spirit – listen to worship music, read scripture, join online prayer groups
- See your emotions as stepping stone to growth
- Allow yourself to feel
- Acknowledge the grieving stage you are in
- Shift focus from what you cannot control to what you can control
- Do not repress your emotions
- Acknowledge how you feel
- Have grace with yourself – it is OK not to be ok
- Vent your emotions to someone you can trust – do not ponder on the, just vent them
- Have grace with one another
- Be assertive – let the other person know how you feel
- Do stuff that will calm you – take a warm bath, take a walk, have some me-time
- Now is the time to talk and invest in the lives of your loved ones
- Schedule online chats with family and friends – (Whats app video call, Duo video call, Whereby, Zoom, etc.)
- Do not only read about people’s stories on Facebook
- Reflect on life
- Ask yourself hard questions – am I happy with my life, what to I want to change
- Brainstorm some new healthy habits/goals that will improve your life after COVID-19
- Goal-setting to implement new healthy habits
This is a golden opportunity for us to reflect and improve. Something which is not always possible in our every day rat-races.
COVID-19 Support Focus Points
- Self-care during COVID-19 Lockdown
- Grieving – dealing with loss and change
- Dealing with stress and anxiety
- How to control fearful thinking
- Social interaction even during Lockdown/combating loneliness
- Mindfulness and becoming self-aware
- Control what you can
- Dealing with conflict during Lockdown
- Exercise and movement in a limited space
- Make good use of your time
- Reflecting – what works and what can I change to move towards a meaningful and purposeful life
- How can we support each other
- Health issues of myself and my family
- How to help families with added pressure due to lockdown, like marriage challenges, or people that need to work from home with kids
COVID-19 Support Channels
We will have an online group session at 14:00 on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. During the sessions, we look at how to overcome the challenges we face during the COVID-19 lockdown and thereafter.
We created a COVID-19 Support Group on Whats app where you can send prayer and support requests. The group is a supportive community for each other during these challenging times.
During our weekly webinars (on Wednesdays), we will discuss the COVID-19 Support Focus Points in more depth.
For any further information or to sign-up for any of the events, you can fill in the COVID-19 Support Form, and we will get back to you asap.